USA. Another couple of tourists, from Colorado, revealed yesterday that both suffered a massive poisoning with the chemical organophosphate found in pesticides used by the resort Grand Bahia Principe de La Romana, and are suing for $ 1 million dollars that corporation.
The couple of Kaylynn Knull and Tom Schwander told the KMGH news station that they traveled to the Dominican Republic in 2016, staying at the Grand Bahia Principe resort, after declining an offer to buy a shared stay package.
“We are warning Americans not to travel as tourists to the Dominican Republic,” they told the news outlet.
Knull and Schwander, who are dating, reported that they began to experience mysterious symptoms at the Grand Bahia Principe resort.
They returned to their room on the June 2018 trip to discover that they smelled something had thrown paint everywhere.
“We were drooling excessively,” Knull said. “My eyes did not stop tearing.”
The couple asked the staff of the resort to change their rooms, but their health worsened.
Knull said he suffered from cramps so painful that he felt like a chainsaw piercing his insides.
“That night, we both woke up drenched in sweat at 4:00 in the morning and somewhat terrified,” Knull said. “And we booked a flight to the United States before the sun came up,” he added.
They immediately arrived in the United States, visited a doctor who diagnosed them with organophosphate poisoning, a chemical found in the insecticide, KGMH reported.
The couple filed the lawsuit after the resort refused to reveal what chemicals were used on the hotel floors or to reimburse the money they had paid.
The lawsuit for $ 1 million dollars for damages has not been resolved in court.
Knull said he can not keep his mouth shut now that Dominican authorities are investigating the three recent deaths at the resort.
“Because I honestly believe that the truth must be told,” Knull told the news station. “This sounds too similar in the same complex.”
Pennsylvania psychotherapist Miranda Schaup Werner, 41, collapsed and died May 25 in the complex due to respiratory failure.
Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, traveled from Maryland to perform the same-day checkup, and the couple was found dead in their room five days later for the same condition.